Aceptar
Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos y servicios de interés.
Al continuar con la navegación, entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.
Torre del Reloj
Dirección C/Recoletas, 5 (Edificio Torre del Reloj). 33201 Gijón
Teléfono 985 181 120
Fax 985 181 182
Correo electrónico archivo@gijon.es
Localización

Descripción

The Clock Tower

Raised in 1572 on the remains of the old Roman walls,it initially served as the town hall, being the seat of the Town Council until it was converted into a gaol, a function it served up until 1909. After falling into neglect, it was demolished in 1911.

Remains of the old Roman walls were unearthed in 1989 as part of the overall regeneration of the neighbourhood of Cimavilla. After studying the remains, it was decided to uncover them, making them visible to the public and carrying out a partial reconstruction of the defensive structure. The Clock Tower building was restored following the same criteria, maintaining the visual continuity of the whole.

It currently houses Gijón’s Municipal Archives.

Palabras clave Gijón